From brickwork to plumbing, joinery to painting and decorating, no matter what trade you want to learn at Chesterfield College we can give you the knowledge needed for your future career. Our strong links with employers mean that we know which skills they’re looking for and many of our students go straight on to work or an apprenticeship at the end of their course.
As a construction student you’ll also be able to take advantage of our state-of-the-art construction facility, East Block One. Built across the road from our main campus, the centre has several cutting-edge workshops which have been tted with all the latest industry standard equipment, enabling you to develop high level skills in your chosen discipline.
The range of courses we offer have been carefully chosen to ensure that when you leave us, you’re ready for work, an apprenticeship or further study at university level. We ask employers to tell us what they look for in new employees and then make sure that our students develop the key skills and knowledge that puts them ahead of the competition. We also ensure that you have the option to follow a career pathway specific to particular jobs, from Level 1 all the way through to a university-level qualification. Where you start, which route you take and how far you go, will depend on you and what you want to be in the future.
Our brand new construction facility provides a dedicated space for those looking to develop high-level skills in carpentry, plumbing and painting and decorating, alongside existing facilities for brickwork and professional construction studies. It houses several state-of-the-art workshops and classrooms designed to give you the skills you need to succeed in a range of construction disciplines. It has internal and external spaces which replicate real construction sites, allowing you to gain practical experience in an environment similar to the one you’ll be in after you leave college.
- The demand for qualified civil engineers in this area has grown by 29% over the last two years, and is expected to grow by a further 6% in the next four. With an average salary of over £39,000, this can be a rewarding career to pursue.
- Over the last five years Chesterfield College has finished in either first or second place in the UK SkillBuild competition.
- Starting salaries for newly qualified plumbers in this area can range from £18,000 to £22,000 a year.
- Jobs in the construction industry in East Derbyshire are expected to grow by 5% over the next four years.
- Jobs for carpenters and joiners in this area are expected to grow by 8% in the next two years.