Clothing, Garment Making and Design WorkshopApply now
- Art, Design & Fashion
- Level 1
- 10 weeks
- Interview Required:
- 24 September 2018
- 9 December 2018
- Age 16-18 Cost:
- Age 19 or Over:
- Funding Assisted:
Modules on this course include:
- How to use sewing machines and equipment safely and effectively
- Knowledge of commercial patterns and fabric selection – information related to garment design, choice of fabric and quantity/notions etc
- How to lay a pattern on fabric and transfer markings
- Seam and finishes - different types of seams and their suitability to different fabrics
- Disposal of fullness –stitching darts, gathers, pleats etc
- Use of interfacing - different types of interfacing and its use in garment construction
- How facings, collars, cuffs and waistbands are prepared and applied to garments to create a professional finish
- Fastenings – the different types fastenings (zips, button & buttonholes etc) and hem finishes
Who is this course for?
With the popularity of sewing on the rise again this course offers the perfect opportunity to develop your garment making skills and knowledge. Whether you are a beginner or want to further develop your skills and confidence then this course is for you. Throughout this ten session course fashion tutors will support you as you learn new skills through sampling and then apply them to the construction of your own unique garment. Course runs on Monday evenings 6.00 – 9.00pm. To find out more about this course please email West Studios at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are no entry requirements for this course.
What other experience will I gain?
We offer fantastic fashion facilities at our Infirmary Road campus and our tutors have years of industry experience, giving you the most out of your course. Develop your skills and knowledge through hands-on practice using our extensive computer design and sewing facilities.
Where will this lead?
The course will develop your skill bank or alternatively may spark the interest in further study on an Art and Design related study programme including fashion. You will leave the end of the ten week course with new skills and a constructed garment.What are my career options?
What Ofsted say
The standard of work is outstanding in graphics, fashion and art and design. (Ofsted 2013)