Level 3 Technical Diploma in Childcare and Education (Early Years Educator)
|Start Date:||14 September 2020|
|Funding information:||Course costs apply.|
The aim of this qualification is to provide learners with the knowledge and understanding of babies and young children from birth to7 years of age with applied knowledge in the early years, 0-5 years. The qualification content meets the Department for Education’s (DfE) Level 2 full and relevant criteria for a Level 2 Early Years Practitioner in the workforce.
This qualification is ideal for learners looking to work with children between birth and 5 years, and gain knowledge of working with children up to 7 years. Learners do not need to have previous experience or qualifications in working with children to undertake this qualification.
Learners will have 9 visits in the workplace and will have access to online materials and support throughout the duration of the course. Additional visits will incur an extra charge of £100 per visit.
To gain this qualification, learners must achieve a total of 37 credits from all 14 mandatory units:
- Roles and responsibilities of the Early Years Practitioner
- Health and safety of babies and young children in the early years
- Equality, diversity and inclusive practice in Early Years Settings
- Safeguarding, protection and welfare of babies and young children in Early Years Settings
- Understand how to support children’s development
- Support care routines for babies and young children
- Support the planning and delivery of activities, purposeful play opportunities and educational programmes
- Promote play in an Early Years Setting
- Support well-being of babies and young children for healthy lifestyles
- Support babies and young children to be physically active
- Support the needs of babies and young children with Special Educational Needs and Disability
- Promote positive behaviour in Early Years Settings
- Partnership working in the early years
- Support the needs of the child in preparing for school
Four GCSEs at grade C/4 or above (including English and maths) or a relevant Level 2 qualification. Learners must be aged 16 or over. Learners will need to be working, volunteering or on practical placement to show competence in both knowledge and skills. We recommend learners complete 250 placement hours whilst undertaking this qualification. Placement opportunity must allow for sufficient skills application with babies and young children to meet the assessment criteria for the qualification.
All units will be internally assessed using a range of methods. Knowledge-based outcomes can be assessed using non-mandatory assessment tasks. Skills-based outcomes must be achieved with reference to a real work environment and must include direct observation within the workplace.
This qualification allows a learner to count towards the Level 2 ratio as a qualified Level 2 Early Years Practitioner within the Early Years Workforce.
Learners may work under supervision in a variety of roles such as:
- Nursery practitioner
- Classroom assistant
- Pre-school practitioner
Learners are also able to progress onto Level 3 Early Years Educator qualifications and other relevant Level 3 qualifications.