Inspection and Testing (incl certification and reporting) – Level 3
|Start Date:||07 September 2020|
|Funding information:||Course costs apply.|
This award provides an understanding of the theory and practice involved with the: initial verification and commissioning, and periodic inspection, testing and condition reporting, of both single and three phase electrical installations.
It is aimed at practicing electricians who wish to gain a qualification in periodic inspection and testing as well as initial verification of new systems.
The award follows BS 7671 and the Industry recognised IETGuidance Note 3 and the Best Practice Guides from Electrical Safely First.
The course covers:
- Requirements for completing the safe isolation of electrical circuits and installations
- Requirements for inspecting, testing and recording the condition of electrical installations
- Requirements for completing the periodic inspection of electrical installations
- The differences between periodic inspection and initial verification
- Requirements for the safe testing of electrical installations which have been placed in service
- Requirements for testing before circuits are energised
- Requirements for testing energised installations
- Understanding and interpreting test results
- Requirements for the completion of electrical installation condition reports and associated documentation
- Confirming safety of system and equipment prior to completion of inspection and testing
- Carry out inspection of electrical installations
- Testing electrical installations in service
- Producing a condition report with recorded observations and classifications
Entry RequirementsThere are no formal entry requirements for the qualification. You must be over the age of 16.
The qualification is assessed by a mixture of on-screen exams and practical assessments. The qualification is not graded and the learner may only achieve a pass.
The qualification assessments are open book and the learner will require IET Guidance Note 3.
Completion of this course could lead to:
- EAL Level 3 Award in the -in-service inspections and testing of electrical equipment (PAT)
- EAL Level 4 Award in the design and verification of electrical installations
- A career in the electrical sector, and further study