Clothing Garment Making and Design
|Start Date:||12 January 2021|
|Funding information:||Course costs apply.|
Course OverviewWith the popularity of sewing on the rise again this course offers the perfect opportunity to develop your garment making skills and knowledge. Whether you are a beginner or want to further develop your skills and confidence then this course is for you. Throughout this course fashion tutors will support you as you learn new skills through sampling and then apply them to the construction of your own unique garment. Course runs on Tuesday evenings 6.00 – 9.00pm.
Modules on this course include:
- How to use sewing machines and equipment safely
- Effectively knowledge of commercial patterns and fabric selection. This includes information related to garment design, choice of fabric, quantity/notions and more
- How to lay a pattern on fabric and transfer markings – Seam and finishes (different types of seams and their suitability to different fabrics and disposal of fullness)
- Using stitching darts, gathers, pleats etc
- Use of interfacing. Different types of interfacing and its use in garment construction. How facings, collars, cuffs and waistbands are prepared and applied to garments to create a professional finish
- Fastenings. The different types fastenings (zips, button & buttonholes etc) and hem finishes
There are no entry requirements for this course.
There are no formal assessments.
The course will develop your skill bank or alternatively may spark the interest in further study on an Art and Design related study programme including fashion. You will leave the end of the ten week course with new skills and a constructed garment.